fanatec csw: remapping buttons layout based on the rim.

Do you have any modes or games you would like to see? Let us know.
wildsurfer

fanatec csw: remapping buttons layout based on the rim.

Post by wildsurfer »

I would like to propose a new feature to your software to solve a problem that I'm always facing switching between different rims of my Club Sport Wheel.
Games allows you to associate buttons to commands, but it's not possible to select different layout based on the selected rim.
Let's say that, for example, you associate your left most button of the F1 Rim for the command "lateral view on the left". This button corresponds to button 8.
Unfortunately when you switch to your BMW rim, the 8 button corresponds to the blue button, that is not in the position that you would like it to be (I would like to associate it to the left most button, button 10, highlighted in orange in the picture). NOTE: buttons numbers might be different. I just just put there as an example.

It would be very nice to have a feature in your software to remap the buttons layout based on the selected rim.

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Re: fanatec csw: remapping buttons layout based on the rim.

Post by DirkT »

That is indeed a very nice feature to have, it would mean Fanaleds has to act as joystick controller itself.

I've been juggling with this idea in my head earlier, but the fact is that is will be quite a lot of work to make this. We've got some more pressing features to be done first, but I'd really much like to revisit this one as soon as I got the time.

wildsurfer

Post by wildsurfer »

thanks for the super quick heads up. I'm glad you like the idea, and I really hope you guys will find soon some time to implement it.

Congratulations once more for your very nice and well thought application. A lot of nice features provided in an extremely simply way.Well done to you all.

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Post by DirkT »

Thank you for the kind words.

The joystick remap, when built, would be somewhat difficult to use I think, but not impossible. For example, when you want to assign a control in say iRacing, it listens to the button input, it would always receive the button from your CSW. But I can work around that by making a special assign mechanism using the keyboard probably/hopefully.

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Post by DirkT »

I might consider this when creating the other requested feature about macro's. It would be best and easiest to remap joystick buttons to keyboard macro's or buttons. Because you can assign keyboard shortcuts in-game just fine.

We'll think about it some more, still not high up in our priority list.

Freddy3792

Post by Freddy3792 »

wildsurfer wrote:I would like to propose a new feature to your software to solve a problem that I'm always facing switching between different rims of my Club Sport Wheel.
Games allows you to associate buttons to commands, but it's not possible to select different layout based on the selected rim.
Let's say that, for example, you associate your left most button of the F1 Rim for the command "lateral view on the left". This button corresponds to button 8.
Unfortunately when you switch to your BMW rim, the 8 button corresponds to the blue button, that is not in the position that you would like it to be (I would like to associate it to the left most button, button 10, highlighted in orange in the picture). NOTE: buttons numbers might be different. I just just put there as an example.

It would be very nice to have a feature in your software to remap the buttons layout based on the selected rim.

I know it is an old request and found it, because I had the same issue. I build myself and autohotkey script which allows me to switch between Formula and GT2 mode and remaps the buttons in a way, which is more logical to me.

For me I didnt remap the button 3 buttons as they are similar on the GT2 and Formula.
If you are interested, post here or drop me a PN. The script at the moment is more for my personal use, if there is more interest, I would invest the time and make it more flexible inclunding universal HUB and documentation.

Here the old layout:
http://abload.de/img/fanatecbuttonsoldcomp86s3h.png

Here my remapping:
http://abload.de/img/fanatecbuttonsnewcompyns0u.png
Last edited by Freddy3792 on 26 Jul 2014, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Post by DirkT »

I think this is a bit of a niche, but probably some people would love to see your script but just couldn't be bothered to ask...

So, now I'm asking :D please share your script so everybody who has any interest can have a go.

Freddy3792

Post by Freddy3792 »

Strange I didnt get a notification altough I subscribed to this thread.
I wanted to write a program, that generates a script and is also able to remap the HUB, but time is limited at the moment, so I will try to get my script up here with some proper documentation it is pretty messy at the moment.